Monday 1 December 2014

Make and Do Gifts for Kids


Now, I don't pretend to be an expert on buying Christmas presents for children but I would like to share some ideas from the sort of thing I would like to get for my 6 year old sister (admittedly the only child I regularly buy gifts for). Children are generally thought of as very easy to buy for, but my sister is the youngest in our family by 8 years, and as the only member of the family anyone can buy toys for any more, tends to get pretty spoilt at Christmas. In recent years I've preferred to get her games and make and do type gifts as they result in something nice we can do together and are less likely to be forgotten than a toy in amongst the far too many she already owns. Today I thought I'd put together a few of the sort of things I would like to get her.

Firstly I think character board games are a great idea for children- they seem to have a Frozen version of every children's board game now and you can get them pretty cheap on Amazon. Me and my sister both love Adventure Time so I have bought her a few Adventure Time games in the past, these are fun, unusual and slightly ridiculous. I'd recommend the Everything Burrito game, which I bought her for her birthday, as a gift for any Adventure Time fan child or not, and I've already wrapped her Gassy Jake hot potato game for Christmas.

For the more creative kids there's a lot of 'make your own' kits on the market. I think its really important to consider the child's age- younger children really don't have the patience for crafts that take a long time or have to be done very precisely. One of my favourite crafts that can be done by children of all ages is the decoration of mugs or plates, you can buy kits for this or just get some porcelain pens or paints and plain white mugs or plates, this is something I remember really enjoying to do as a child.

My favourite DIY gift idea is a Science experiment kit I saw on Pinterest (though I can't find the page again to put a link in, sorry!). They had found a few household ingredient science experiments- Mentos in coke, that sort of thing- written them up a made them into a nice little booklet which could be personalised with the recipients name. They also included all the ingredients for the experiments they had found and presented them in a box together with the booklet. I think most children would love this sort of thing and it's a really thoughtful and inexpensive gift.

I hope you enjoyed my first Christmas themed post, let me know if you'd like to see another one! See you soon!
Eva xx


2 comments:

  1. These are such great ideas! I wish I had young children in my family to buy gifts for!

    alexandrakaty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete